The Game Support Team at Cloud Imperium Games is a public-facing team responsible for relaying the status of the Live service to players (including downtime schedules, known issues, and publish information), troubleshooting individual and service-wide problems, helping people understand and enjoy the game, developing ways of driving interest and engagement through one-to-many events and communications (such as playtests and Spectrum chats and posts), and turning reports and feedback into solutions and improvements for Star Citizen.
Individual Game Support Specialists will also provide various levels of technical and game problem resolution to the backers and players of Star Citizen by diagnosing and troubleshooting a wide variety of subjects including (but not limited to): Initial installation, patching, and loading the game; account access; assessing game client performance by reviewing players’ hardware and software setups; verifying and entering bugs into tracking software; helping players navigate and learn the website, the launcher, and the game; administering the game environment to keep it safe and secure; and communicating publicly with players on live service issues through email, forums, and various online sites popular with our community.
An additional primary task for this group is to help players maintain the integrity and security of their account by assisting with hacked accounts and tracking down surreptitious activity on the service using a variety of forensics tools and logs.
Example solutions include: installing/uninstalling/reinstalling software applications; verifying proper hardware and software set up; power cycling equipment; assisting with navigating around application menus; testing software bugs; reviewing potentially fraudulent monetary transactions; reviewing game logs to identify service problems. Support is provided in email and on forums and websites, where clearly communicated solutions are provided in a fun, light-hearted, user-friendly manner. Staff will perform related work as required
Additional tasks will included assisting with fraudulent transactions and chargebacks, as well as all investigating the in-game effects of those actions.
Duties and Tasks/Essential Functions:
- Deliver a fun level of service and support to our dedicated Star Citizen backers and players, using email, forums, in-game communications and online websites;
- Interact with players both privately and publicly to provide and process information in response to inquiries, concerns, and requests about products and services;
- Help manage and run our public play sessions and collect feedback for the development and executive teams;
- Gather players’ information and determine the issue by evaluating and analyzing the symptoms and working with QA and Production to get information into the development pipeline;
- Diagnose and resolve technical hardware and software issues involving internet connectivity, local networking, and players’ installed hardware and software;
- Follow standard processes and procedures while being allowed to creatively solve problems;
- Redirect problems to appropriate resource;
- Offer alternative solutions where appropriate with the objective of keeping players happy and playing the game;
- Coordinate with our teams across the globe;
- Stay current with system information, changes and updates by learning and playing Star Citizen. Encyclopedic knowledge of the game will be required.
Skill and Knowledge Qualifications:
- Proper online communication etiquette;
- Ability to speak and write clearly and accurately in English with a demonstrated proficiency in typing and grammar;
- Working knowledge of Windows-based software computer applications and equipment;
- Knowledge of online game communities and player relations and support principles and practices;
- Effective listening skills;
- Willingness to co-operate with others and work to the greater good;
- Multi-tasking capabilities;
- Willingness to be flexible on schedule during peak play periods and during game updates
- Exemplary attendance and punctuality
- Maintains effectiveness when experiencing major changes in personal work tasks or work environment; adjusts effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
- Focuses and guides self and team members in accomplishing work objectives.
- Interacts with others in a way that gives them confidence in one’s intentions and those of the organization.
- Clearly conveys and receives information and ideas, through a variety of media, to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience, helping them understand and retain the message, and permitting response and feedback from the listener.
- Makes players and their needs a primary focus of one’s actions; developing and sustaining productive player relationships.
- Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; compares data from different sources to draw conclusions; uses effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; and takes action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Deals effectively with others in antagonistic situations, using appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict.
- Establishes proper courses of action to ensure that work product is completed efficiently and on time/within proper time limits.
- Maintains stable performance under pressure or opposition (such as time pressure or job ambiguity); handling stress in a manner that is acceptable to others and to the organization.
- Possesses, acquires, and maintains the technical/professional expertise required to do the job effectively and to create effective player solutions. Technical/professional expertise is demonstrated through problem-solving, applying technical knowledge, and product and service management for the functional area in which the employee operates.
- Has a high degree of patience navigating a variety of troubleshooting situations.
- Actively appreciates and includes the diverse capabilities, insights, and ideas of others and working effectively and respectfully with individuals of diverse backgrounds, styles, abilities, and motivations.
- Sets high standards of performance for self; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time
- Must be willing to work through online video and chat with colleagues across the globe
Covid-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options
We are an equal opportunities employer. We thrive on inclusivity here at CIG. You can be sure we do not discriminate against race, nationality, gender, gender reassignment, age, religion, belief… We thrive to create a workplace where our people feel included, respected and valued and facilitate an environment which fosters innovation and creativity.