Cloud Imperium Games is seeking an experienced Supervising Editor for the Global Video Production (GVP) department to join us in our Los Angeles office (eventually). This is a full-time position starting in a work-from-home structure until safe to return to our office in West Los Angeles.
Cloud Imperium Games is a fast-paced video gaming company on the cutting edge of technology developing two AAA titles: Star Citizen and Squadron 42. We release linear marketing content to our growing fan base – cinematic trailers, commercials, high-end serialized documentaries, behind-the-scenes recurring series, live-stream Q&A with our developers, and other experimental content.
As the Supervising Editor and the discipline lead for all creative editorial, this person will not only own the storytelling process on their own projects but also the creative prowess of the editorial department. The ideal candidate should have extensive knowledge of the cinematic and animation process, comfortable with interpreting creative notes, inspiring creative in team members, and demanding a higher level of storytelling fidelity throughout the concept development and execution process. You possess the ability to plan ahead, think creatively, identify issues/roadblocks and develop plans to prevent or minimize their impact on the production.
This role will report to the Showrunner and work collaboratively with the Senior Producer, GVP; the production team; the marketing cinematics team; department leads; and various internal stakeholders at Cloud Imperium. NOTE: Please submit a link to your showreel and/or website otherwise you will not be considered.
- Use creative storytelling ability and innovative thinking to create industry-leading creative content
- Heavily involved in creating marketing content; cinematic trailers, gameplay content and behind-the-scenes and long-form documentary-style content.
- Create offline edits that clearly communicate the storyline and emotional elements of the video
- Deliver editorial oversight working with little to no supervision; taking ownership of projects and the team while remaining open to collaboration
- Provides internal project leadership and direction to edit/post team on assigned productions utilizing strong planning, organizational, and communication skills
- Document and communicate editorial standards that promote clarity, consistency, and appeal.
- Organize and manage editorial processes for cinematic/animation heavy projects keeping in mind creative needs on those productions.
- Partner and negotiate with teams locally and globally, including community, marketing, and GVP, to manage design, scheduling, and production.
- Work directly with producers and programming management communicating and updating information as necessary in regards to schedule/deadlines
- Strong analytical skills and experience working with large data sets including ingesting and organizing footage from multiple shoots and projects while utilizing an asset management system.
- Update and organize footage, generate reviewable files, and handle final deliveries of necessary formats with or without the aid of an assistant editor.
- Manipulate raw camera footage, dialogue, special effects, music, sound/optical effects, graphics
- Manipulate a mix of game capture, live action footage, motion graphics, music, and sound effects—all with a high degree of fidelity
- Ensure our written, graphical, and video-based content is highly engaging and optimized for its target audience
- Minimum 7+ years of video editing experience in a professional, service-based industry
- Must be able to navigate Adobe Premiere CC with deft precision and speed
- Experience in sound design, motion graphics creation; storage/archiving/indexing a video library
- Experience editing cinematics or animation/vfx heavy content, short-form commercials, trailers, and sizzle reels.
- Comprehensive understanding of editing file structures and A/V formats and compression
- Strong time and resource management skills meeting critical deadlines in a chaotic and ever-changing environment
- Excellent attention to detail, written/verbal communication skills, and sense of story construction
- Strong desire to work on a team, contributing positively and creatively to the company’s success
- Desire to produce the highest quality work, within budget and time constraints, and to continually develop new skills and techniques to improve the final product
- Excellent teamwork and team development skills; including a positive attitude and professional demeanor as well as experience working with senior leadership
- Must be able to work flexible hours to accommodate video production needs
- Ability to work from a detailed script as well as craft a storyline with little direction
- Advertising, entertainment and/or gaming experience
NOTE: Please submit a link to your showreel and/or website otherwise you will not be considered.
Covid-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
CIG Diversity Statement: CIG is a global company, staunchly committed to cultivating a culture and workplace that celebrates all backgrounds, lifestyles, and perspectives. Together, we are creating a space where authentic recognition, appreciation, and understanding of the importance of diversity is fostered by everyone. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strive to build a team that represents all walks of life, and we want every employee to bring all the things that make them unique to the work environment. The universe is as vast and varied as the people in it, and it’s our differences that make it special.